Nanotechnology is an emerging science and technology of building and constructing devices and materials such as nanoelectronics and drug delivery systems on extremely small scales. Our Nanotechnology Group is at the leading edge of helping drive innovation towards making the world a better place to live.
Whether a project requires knowledge of electronics, mechanics, physics, materials science, chemistry, medicine, or biotechnology, our diverse technical backgrounds allow us to work together to efficiently provide the highest level of experience to our clients in a broad sweep of technologies. Before we were attorneys, many of us were inventors, engineers and scientists. Our attorneys, technical advisors and patent agents hold degrees in areas such as Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science. In addition, many hold Medical Doctorates, Ph.D.s and Masters Degrees. As lawyers, we actively engage with clients and immerse ourselves in their businesses to understand, build and implement technology and intellectual property driven strategies that add bottom-line value.
We provide the full range of intellectual property services, including:
- Intellectual property strategy development
- Evaluating the nanotechnology patent landscape for a new product or process
- Providing opinions on the patentability of innovations in nanotechnology
- Evaluating risks associated with the intellectual property of others
- Preparation, filing, and prosecution of U.S. patent applications
- Preparation, prosecution, and management of international patent portfolios utilizing our large network of associates in many different countries
- Conducting intellectual property due diligence investigations for mergers, acquisitions, or other transfers of intellectual property
- Enforcing intellectual property rights, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation
Merchant & Gould has successfully prosecuted many patents involving microtechnology and nanotechnology. Our team has also successfully enforced patents involving these technologies.
Our Nanotechnology Group is passionate about and active in the nanotechnology communities in which we work and live, including various aspects of the MN Nano coalition, in which we are working to advance the state of Minnesota's standing as a region of excellence in nanoscience.