Patenting, protecting, and monetizing your tangible IP assets
Physical intellectual property spans a range of disciplines, and so does our mechanical group's range of talents and technical experience. We are committed to providing the highest quality global intellectual property services to our clients in the mechanical, materials science, and related technology fields.
Serving clients with vision and foresight.
Our attorneys work to build enduring relationships with each and every client, creating a partnership in which we work with your company to develop strategic plans for your intellectual property. Our goal is to combine a deep knowledge of your company's history with proactive legal counsel as a key to your success. In fact, one of our Mechanical clients has been with the firm for more than 100 years, served by one of our attorneys for almost four decades. By communicating frequently and staying in close touch with your goals, needs, and concerns, we consistently and proactively provide a full range of top-level intellectual property services to help your company thrive now and decades into the future.
Merging practical industry experience with legal insight.
Not only are our attorneys accomplished in the legal field, we hold engineering or other science degrees, a number of which are advanced degrees in specialized fields. Many of us have practical engineering or scientific work experience and have developed strong cross-disciplinary skills as active members in other groups in the firm. We apply this experience to your toughest IP challenges, collaborating with you to define and refine your inventions, patent portfolios, and long-term IP strategies.
Providing a full spectrum of global intellectual property services.
As a multi-disciplinary firm providing prosecution, litigation, and trademark services, we can go beyond simple mechanics to serve you with holistic and value-added strategies to solve your IP problems and grow your portfolio. Our full range of mechanical intellectual property services includes:
- Intellectual property strategy
- Patentability investigations
- Invention ownership evaluations
- Preparing, filing, and prosecuting U.S., International, and foreign patent applications
- Prosecution of domestic patent applications on behalf of foreign clients
- Intellectual property licensing
- Policing and managing patent portfolios
- Freedom to operate investigations and opinions
- Investigation of infringement
- Conducting due diligence studies
- Enforcing patent rights
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office post-grant procedures
- Appeals before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board
- Ex-parte and inter partes reexaminations
- Patent portfolio management
- Patent claim coverage assessments for commercial products
- Product marking strategies
Spanning a range of technologies and industries.
Attorneys in the Mechanical Group have the technical experience to serve clients in a diverse array of technologies and industries, including:
- Sports and sporting equipment
- Lawn and landscaping
- Building and construction
- Boating and marine
- Farming and agriculture
- Food and food processing
- Medical devices and diagnostics
- Product coating
- Power tools
- Heavy equipment
- Paper processing
- Semiconductor and fabrication
- Universities and research
- Materials and materials processing
- Industrial processes
- Machine design
- Fiber optics
- And more
With six U.S. offices, we are at your convenience. Let us help you develop, manage, and protect your valuable brands.
Mechanical Practice Group Co-Chairs Julie R. Daulton & David G. Schmaltz